Karma & Cents Blog
Some of our recent thoughts
Each year, in advance of GivingTuesday, we publish a Charity List. This charity list is a compilation of organizations that our clients, and donors through the Place2Give Foundation, supported over the year. In many cases, these are agencies that we have reviewed and recommended, based on donor risk tolerance and/or alignment to funding objectives of the donor. New this year we have broken out the organizations that participated in one of our Roundtables or those that our clients developed deep working relationships with.
About the Roundtables:
Held throughout the year, these roundtables bring together a cross-section of industry experts to provide deeper understanding on a topic or issue area. By soliciting a diverse set of perspectives on complex issues facing North American Communities we gain a better understanding of the ripple effects that philanthropy can have and more importantly identify where the gaps in the system may lie. If you are interested in supporting any one of these organizations or one of the Roundtables please visit the Place2Give Foundation general fund page where you can specify the organization, or organizations you’d like to support.
2020 Roundtable Charity List
- Calgary Counselling
- Alberta Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Capitalize for Kids
- Mental Health Foundation
- Siloam Mission
- Calgary Health Trust
- Distress Centre
- Two Ten Recovery
- Leftovers Foundation and Fresh Routes
- The Alex Food Centre
- Community Food Centres Canada
- Food, Water Wellness Foundation
- Brown Bagging for Street Kids Society
- Breakfast Clubs of Canada
Girls in Sports
- University of Toronto – Faculty of Kinesiology
- Canadian Sports Hall of Fame
- Fast and Female
- Canadian Women and Sport
- University of Victoria – Gender Studies
- Centre for Sexuality – WiseGuyz Program
- University of Calgary – SHIFT program
- University of Calgary – Faculty of Education
- Thorn (*Note – US charity)
- Alberta Institute for Wildlife Preservation
- Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Trout Unlimited
- Ducks Unlimited
- Manitoba Wildlife Federation
- Wildlife Preservation Canada
2020 General Charity List
In addition to the Roundtables, we have reviewed and supported donors in accessing additional information on the following agencies:
(You can find a complete listing of the different funds that support these agencies on the Place2Give Foundation GIVE page)
- Access Community Capital Fund
- ACT Alberta
- AARC – Animal Rescue
- Canada Animal Taskforce
- Alberta Sports & Rec for the Blind
- Alex Community Health Centre
- ALS Society
- Amici String Program Assoc.
- Amnesty International Canada
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Canada
- Canadian Alliance to End Homelessness
- Calgary Humane Society
- Children’s Cottage Society
- Dentistry for All
- Give A Mile
- The Neighbourhood Group Foundation
- Heart & Stroke Foundation
- Highbanks Society
- Inn from the Cold
- Loft Community Services
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Mustard Seed
- National Music Centre
- Royal Alexandra Hospital Foundation
- Shaw Charity Classic
- United Jewish Appeal – PJ Library Program
- University of Calgary – Haskayne School of Business
- University of Calgary – Cummings School of Medicine
As with all of our work, this list is unique to the donors we worked with this year. These organizations meet the individual philanthropic objectives of the funders’. Of note, this is not an endorsement of an organization’s overall transparency or performance; when we connect a donor with a charity, it is because that organization meets the risk standards set out by our client. We assess risks in the areas of governance, leadership, competitive landscape, program delivery, community engagement and financials. As practice we only look at the financials if the organization has met the standards in the other performance areas.
Check out these posts and whitepapers for information on what to consider when reviewing charities:
Missed a post?
Catch up here.
If the recent example of the funding relationship, and subsequent cancellation of the funding contract between WE Charity and the Canadian Federal government has showcased anything; it laid bare what most philanthropists and charity directors have known for decades – the Canadian charitable system is broken.
Some you might remember the Hanna-Barbara cartoon, The Jetsons from the 1960/70's. A couple generations later and we are experiencing that which was depicted in this series. From video phone meetings to tele-medicine. We have adapted our communication style to meet...
Taking a page out of Mayor Naheed Nenshi's COVID-19 songbook, "Clean hands, clear heads, open hearts," is the individual and community-based response to the pandemic. It is also how we look at the philanthropic response. Resulting from the medical instruction and...
#IWD2020 – Four women philanthropists who have shaped or are reshaping global communities.
Are you ready to take the
next step to Philanthropy 3.0?
333, 11th St. SW
Calgary, Alberta, T2R 1L9
©2017, Karma & Cents inc. // Karma & Cents is a registered trademark